26 Frankwell Drive, Potters Green, Coventry
An enthusiastic sports journalist with a wide range of experience in both local and national press, broadcast media, online and print, currently works as a news/sports reporter at the Coventry Observer newspaper.
Highly motivated I possess the ability to generate content across a broad spectrum and develop key contacts within the community.
BA Journalism and Media 2.1 (hons) (September 2006 – June 2009) Coventry University, Coventry, UK
Organised – Organisation is an essential skill I possess, especially when shifting between heavy workloads.
Passionate – Pride in all my work is key and I am determined to succeed in the journalism profession.
Delivery – Delivery on time and to a high standard is essential, I produce highly successful projects through a natural drive and passion for writing.
Team Player – Working as part of a team or individually, I am able to achieve goals to the best of my ability.
Flexible – I fully understand the demands of the journalism industry and am therefore prepared to be flexible and put in extra hours in order to meet deadlines.
Coventry Observer – November 2010 – present day
– As a news and sports reporter for the paper, my main role is to produce fresh news stories for the Coventry Observer, a weekly newspaper in the Coventry area.
UEFA – September 2010 – present day
– I have worked for UEFA as a freelance Venue Data Coordinator (VDC) for over a year. My main role is to collect match data during high profile matches football matches, including England Under-21’s, and validate the data with UEFA representatives before being uploaded to the UEFA website.
Coventry City Ladies Football Club Press Officer – August 2010 – present day
– As Coventry City Ladies FC Press Officer, I work part-time around other work commitments to voluntarily produce match reports, news articles and be a general point of contact for any press enquires at the club.
Sportsbeat – August 2010 – November 2010
– I worked as a freelance match reporter at weekends covering Championship, League One and League Two football matches across the West Midlands area. My duties were to produce copy, including quotes, for the Football League paper and other national and local newspapers.
The Guardian – May 2010
– As part of the Guardian sports team, my role throughout the week was to support writers and create content suitable for both the Guardian national website and newspaper. I was given daily tasks which included researching stories, writing features and I also produced content for Guardian Sports Blog.
– I was also given the opportunity to spend a couple of days on the Guardian news desk which gave me a fantastic insight into how national stories are produced and delivered.
Red Bull, World Street Style Soccer Finals – April 2010
– I worked for Red Bull as a freelance reporter at the 2010 World Street Style Soccer Finals in Cape Town, South Africa. I reported on the event for the Red Bull website, creating features and writing reports on different competition stages. I was also a photographer at the event so I could provide images for the Red Bull website.
BT Paralympic World Cup – May 2009
– As part the Fast Track media team for the Paralympic World Cup in Manchester, my duties were to support any media that were at the venue by liaising with all nations to set-up interviews or pictures.
– I also had to interview athletes to produce flash quotes for the official BT Paralympic World Cup website and produce an end of day news wrap up for the website. Working in Manchester gave me a fantastic insight into what it is like working at a major sporting event.
The BUCS Championship’s – March 2009
– I won a national competition by submitting a feature article to the BUCS team and the prize was to report at the British Universities & Colleges Sport Championships in Sheffield for four days.
– My main duty was to raise as media coverage as possible for the event, this included interviewing athletes and stars at the event, reporting at events and producing copy for local and national newspapers.
World Snooker – December 2008 and 2009
– I worked for World Snooker twice during the prestigious Telford UK Championships, working alongside the head Press Officer for World Snooker. My role was to produce news stories for the World Snooker website, which had to include player quotes. I also set up interviews for journalists and helped with any media queries.
BBC Coventry & Warwickshire – April 2008
– Working with the news team I produced up to date content for the BBC website and the hourly bulletins throughout the day, this included editing interviews, researching stories and writing cues.
– I also spent time with the sports team where my main duties were to write content for the website and produce content for the early morning news bulletins.
Competency and Training
Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
Competent user of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign and Quark Express
Interests and Achievements
Sport (both participating & watching), live events, socialising and generally keeping active.
Fully qualified FA Junior and level 1 Football Coach
Full clean UK Driving License
Chris Smith, Coventry Observer, editor
Abigail Thomas, Fast Track Agency, account manager